Skip to main content

Community Action’s Response to the coronavirus (COVID-19)

All Community Action offices are closed to the public indefinitely, but we are still working hard to serve you. Read the information below to learn how you can connect with us. Check this page regularly as information is subject to change daily.

Need help paying your rent? Call (503) 615-0770  -  Need help getting into housing? Call (503) 640-3263

Contact Information

Our Main Line is open Monday – Friday, 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM. Call 503-648-6646. General inquiries can also be sent by email to

Requests for Emergency Rent Assistance can be made by calling 503-615-0770 on Mondays at 9:00 am or the following business day if Monday falls on a Holiday. Request can also be made online from the 1st of the month to the 15th of the month by clicking HERE. Or, by submitting an application via the Oregon Emergency Rental Assistance Program by clicking HERE.  

Requests for Utility Assistance can be made over the phone by calling 503-615-0771 Mon-Fri from 9:00 am - 12 pm. They can also be made online, Mon-Fri from 4:00 pm – 7:00 PM by clicking HERE.

Community Connect can assist families with children seeking shelter and all households seeking assistance to regain housing. Call 503-640-3263.

Head Start and Early Head Start are still enrolling children for the 2021-2022 school year. Enroll your child today by calling 503-693-3262 or emailing

Child Care Resource & Referral is helping child care providers understand how COVID-19 is affecting their business sector. Providers can call 971-223-6100 or email to ask questions and learn about available resources. All inquiries will be answered within 24 hours.

Call 211 if your family is seeking child care.


  • Rent Well – No classes are scheduled at this time.

Vaccine Resources

Washington County:

Oregon Health Authority:

Vaccine Sign-Up:

Frequently Asked Questions by Program

Child Care Resource & Referral

How do I access Child Care Resource and Referral?

Please call our main number 971-223-6100 or email  We will return your call or email within one business day.  If you need to speak to a specific Quality Improvement Specialist, you can reference the list below.  All team members are working remotely under guidance from the Early Learning Division. We will be updating our Facebook page throughout the day with updates and information provided to us.

Alba Sullivan - 503-572-7194   Courtney Bowen - 971-294-9537   Hailee McBurney - 971-371-6562

Megan Wurst - 971-563-7951  Nancy Leon - 503-572-7193   Sunny Yepez - 971-470-7911 

Can I open a child care business at this time? 

Please contact us or the Office of Child Care by phone or email for more information. 

Phone: 971-223-6100


Office of Child Care: 1-800-556-6616

Can I have an in-person appointment or a site visit?

In accordance of the recommendations provided by the Oregon Health Authority, we will not be meeting with individuals face-to-face or provide on-site visits until further notice.

Can I make an appointment to review my CDA or Spark portfolio? 

Currently, we are not meeting with individuals in person.  Please call or email us so that we may provide support over the phone, email, or via virtual meeting.

I would like to temporarily close my business during this time, who should I notify?

If you are closed or plan to close your program temporarily, please contact us at 971-223-6100 (option 4) as well as your licensing specialist to notify them of your closure. 

How do I access training for licensing?

We have canceled all in person training. We are currently offering trainings online. To view our catalog of trainings, click here: CCR&R Training Catalog Please check the Early Learning Division, Office of Child Care for a full list of frequently asked questions and specific information on licensing.

What if parents can’t pay their copay because they are out of work?

Oregon’s ERDC program is waiving parent copays for eligible families who apply prior to September 30th. If a family applies before September 30th, they could have a $0 copay for 12 months. Income guidelines have also been relaxed, allowing more families to be eligible. Please see updated information regarding DHS here or call the DHS Direct Pay Unit with questions Monday-Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm at 1-800-699-9074.

Will I be paid for providing care even if children are choosing not to attend due to COVID-19?

DHS will continue to pay for children in your care even if they are absent or you are forced to shut down due to the COVID-19 emergency. Please see updated information for child care providers regarding DHS payment here or call the DHS Direct Pay Unit with questions Monday-Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm at 1-800-699-9074.

What if I need more staff or supplies to stay open?

Below are some resources to help with supplies: 

If you are in need of a substitute, please complete this form to submit a request for referrals. 

Head Start/Early Head Start Enrollment

The safety of our staff, children and families is our highest priority. Please see below for more specific details of each program.

Can I still apply for Head Start?

Yes. You can print an application from this link on our website. Or to request an application to be sent to you, please call our main Enrollment line at 503-693-3262 or email us

Can I come in person to drop off my application and documents?

No, all of our offices are currently closed to the public.

You may send your application and supporting documents:

  • by mail to 1001 SW Baseline St, Hillsboro, OR 97123
  • by email to
  • by fax to 503-400-3669

I received a letter in the mail stating that my income needs to be re-determined to remain on the waiting list, what is the best method to send in this information?

Since our offices remain closed to the public, send all documents by one of the methods listed above. 

I submitted a Head Start application, how do I know what the status is?

Head Start applications take 2-4 weeks to process. Once your application has been processed, we will notify you by phone or email.

If we have questions regarding your application, we will contact you by phone.

What if I didn’t submit my income with my Head Start Application?

Our Enrollment team will reach out to families by phone or email on missing income documentation.

If my child is on the waiting list, how do I know when she/he will be selected to participate?

Our enrollment team will be reaching out to families with information on your child’s placement in either Early Head Start/Head Start or you may contact us at 503-693-3262 or email us at for more information.

Head Start/Early Head Start Program Options

Full Day Full Year Programs*

  • Hillsboro Child Development Center (HCDC) Early Head Start and Pre-K
  1. Classes will be held in person for 2021-2022 school year beginning in September.
  • Early Head Start Home-Based
  1. Home visits will be virtual from September 2021 through December 2021.
  2. We will update soon if we are able to resume in person home visits beginning in January 2022.
  • Coffee Creek (Coffee Creek Correctional Facility)
  1. Classes will be held in person for 2021-2022 school year beginning in September.

Part-day Pre-K  & Duration Classrooms*

  • Head Start classrooms in public schools, Garden Home Recreation Center, Beaverton Child Development Center (BCDC) and the Part-Day Pre-K classroom in Hillsboro (HCDC)
  1. Classes will be held in person for 2021-2022 school year beginning in September.

*The above plans are all subject to change as community circumstances develop.

Utility Assistance

I submitted a Utility Assistance application, how can I know what the status is?

Utility Assistance applications take at least 4-5 weeks to process. Once your application has been processed our team will inform your utility company of the payment and will either mail or email you your receipt. If there is a problem with your application we will reach out to you in order to correct any issues or collect any missing documentation.

What Utilities can I get help with?

Community Action is currently assisting with electricity, natural gas and bulk heating fuel.

How do I request utility assistance?

Please visit our Utility Assistance page HERE to see how to request a Utility Assistance Application.

Emergency Rent Assistance

I am having trouble getting through by phone. What should I do?

We begin accepting calls at 9 am on Mondays (or the following business day if Monday falls on a Holiday) and take calls until all appointments for that week are full.  Call volume is high, please continue calling until you get through.  If you are not able to get an appointment today, please call again at a later date, or fill out the online screening request HERE, as of May 19th 2021 you can also complete the online application for assistance through the Oregon Emergency Rental Assistance Program (OERAP) HERE.

If I have already accessed Emergency Rent Assistance this year, can I request assistance again?

Yes, while assistance is normally only available 1 time each year, you are able to access assistance again during this crisis even if you have already been helped.

My landlord is not issuing 72 hour eviction notices, but I am behind in my rent.  Can I get assistance without having a 72 hour notice?

Yes, while this program usually requires a 72 hour eviction notice for assistance, Community Action can assist income qualified households who are behind on their rent with emergency assistance even if they do not have an eviction notice. Requests for this emergency help can be made by calling 503-615-0770 on Mondays or by filling out the application online.

I received assistance with my rent, but my landlord has not received a payment yet. Is there anything I need to do?

Depending on the billing system, it could take 4 to 8 weeks for landlords to receive a payment after your application was approved. We are working hard to get help out as quickly as we can and we appreciate your patience. We have significantly increased our capacity. Our number of appointments has increased from 30 to 500 per month.

Where can I obtain information about the Coronavirus COVID-19:Emergency Protections for Renters?

The Oregon Legislature recently established a safe harbor period; if you have applied for rent assistance and get a nonpayment eviction notice, you may provide documentation of your application for assistance to your landlord. If you do this, you cannot be evicted for up to 90 days depending on where you live (Check Here) from the time you provide the documentation to your landlord. This gives you extra time to allow your rent assistance application to be processed and payments made to your landlord. Go to or for more information or to seek legal advice. 

Under current law, you cannot be evicted until next year for rent owed between April 2020 and June 2021. Rental arrears from this period must be paid by the end of February 2022. For more information on Senate Bill 282, please click HERE.

Oregon Law Center has made the following video to help answer common questions from tenants.

Housing & Homeless Services

If Community Action is assisting me with my rent, will it continue to be paid?

Yes, there will be no interruptions in current rent plans.

If I am a Rent Well participant should I still come to my classes?

No, Rent Well classes are cancelled. Please continue to check the website for any future updates.

If I have a scheduled appointment with a housing specialist for rent assistance should I still keep the appointment?

Yes, you will receive a call from your housing specialist. Please make sure your contact information is up to date.

If you are a renter and have questions about how the moratoriums on evictions affect you, visit the Oregon Law Center to learn more. Oregon Law Center has made the following video to help answer common questions from tenants.



How do I enroll in TriMet’s reduced fare program now that the Community Action office is closed?

Please visit and follow the steps to enroll online.