How to Apply for Emergency Rent Assistance
Please call our prevention line at 503-615-0770 to be screened for eligibility on the 8th of the month at 9:00 am
Submit an Online Screen Request on the 15th of the month at 6:00 pm HERE.
Online Screening Requests for Emergency Rental Assistance will reopen to new applicants on:
Monday, October 16th, 2023, at 6:00 pm
One Request Per Household.
If the 8th or the 15th fall on a weekend, we will be taking requests the following Monday.
Effective April 2023 Emergency rent assistance will be available to Washington County residents who meet ALL of the following criteria:
- Have a Notice for nonpayment of rent in hand from your landlord for the current month in which you are applying for (Applications at Higher risk of eviction will be prioritized)
- Are below the 50% Area Median Income (see income table below)
Important Emergency Rent Updates
INFORMATION TO KNOW WHEN REQUESTING ASSISTANCE FOR EMERGENCY RENT
- Calls to our emergency rent line 503-615-0770 are answered on the 8th of the month. Calls will be answered on a first come first serve basis, starting at 9:00 am until all available appointments are filled.
- Online Screen Requests will be accepted on the 15th of the month. Online screen requests will be accepted on a first come first serve basis, starting at 6:00 pm until the first 80 eligible requests have been received.
- If the 8th or the 15th fall on a weekend, we will be taking requests the following Monday.
- When you request a screening for rent assistance by phone or online, please be prepared to give us full names, dates of birth, social security numbers for everyone in the household, an estimated annual or monthly GROSS income amount the household has received in the past 12 months or the past 30 days, and be prepared to provide/upload a copy of your current nonpayment of rent notice from your landlord, and a copy of your form of ID.
- If you have a pending application with our agency for Emergency Rent Assistance and need the status of your application, please contact us at 503-615-0770 and leave us a detailed voice message with your inquiry
- Washington County Households must be under 50% Area Median Income to be eligible for emergency rent assistance. Please click HERE to see the current income guidelines
- Please click HERE for important information about Washington County eviction court and the process
- If you are summoned for first appearance eviction court please WATCH this helpful video on Landlord Tenant First Appearance
- Go to Oregon Law Center, Community Alliance of Tenants, or Oregon Renters Rights for more information or to seek legal advice
- Housing Mediation is available for tenants, landlords/housing providers wishing to discuss issues related to rent, repairs, communication, or any other problems or concerns related to the living arrangement. Mediation is free, voluntary, and confidential. If you want to learn more or participate, email Housing Mediation, or call 503-526-3733 for housing mediation.
- For other Rent Assistance resources please contact 211 info
Please see our Emergency Rent Frequently Asked Questions HERE.
If you are homeless, or are at imminent risk of becoming homeless, call our Community Connect line at 503-640-3263. You will speak to a staff member who will screen your situation. If you are eligible, we will schedule an "assessment appointment" for you to meet with a Community Resource Advocate. This person will assess your situation and help determine if services in Washington County are available to help you.