Skip to main content

Community Action FAQs

Read the information below to learn how you can connect with us. Check this page regularly as information is subject to change.

Need help paying your rent? Call (503) 615-0770  -  Need help getting into housing? Call (503) 640-3263

Contact Information

Our Main Line is open Monday – Friday, 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM. Call 503-648-6646. General inquiries can also be sent by email to

Community Action’s Emergency Rent Program: Please visit our site for an update.

Requests for Utility Assistance applications can be made on the website.  If you have any questions you can call 503-615-0771 Mon-Fri from 9:00 am - 12 pm or from 1 to 4 pm.  To access the utility application, click HERE.

Community Connect can assist families with children seeking shelter and all households seeking assistance to regain housing. Call 503-640-3263.

Severe Weather Shelter information and more resources for Homeless Services can be found HERE.

Head Start and Early Head Start are now enrolling children for the 2023 - 2024 school year. Enroll your child today by calling 503-693-3262 or emailing

Child Care Resource & Referral supports early care and education professionals by helping ECE professionals navigate the early learning system, including opening and/or expanding child care businesses. CCR&R provides free or low-cost professional learning opportunities in multiple languages that are culturally and linguistically responsive. All inquiries will be answered within 48 hours. Please contact and/or 971.223.6100 for more information. 

Call 211 if your family is seeking child care.

Frequently Asked Questions by Program

Emergency Rent Assistance

My landlord is not issuing non-payment eviction notices, but I am behind in my rent. Can I get assistance without having a non-payment eviction notice?

Unfortunately, due to limited funding, we can only assist in an eviction prevention situation. Please contact us if you receive an eviction notice for non-payment of rent. For more information, click here

I received assistance with my rent, but my landlord has not received a payment yet. Is there anything I need to do?

It could take 1 to 2 weeks for landlords to receive a payment after your application is approved. If 2 weeks have passed since we made a commitment to your landlord and no payment has been received, please either reach out to the Community Action representative working on your application or contact us at 503-615-0770 and leave a voice message. We are working hard to get help as quickly as possible and appreciate your patience. 

Housing & Homeless Services

How do I get connected to the housing program? 

Our Housing and Homeless Services Program accepts referrals from Community Connect, a coordinated entry system, which serves as a centralized intake process for individuals and families experiencing homelessness. This ensures an equitable approach to connecting those in need with our Housing and Homeless Services Program.

If you or someone you know is experiencing homelessness or is at imminent risk of homelessness, we encourage you to reach out to Community Connect.

Child Care Resource & Referral

How do I access Child Care Resource and Referral services?

Please call our main number 971-223-6100 or email  You also can submit an appointment request HERE!

Can I have an in-person appointment?

CCR&R is providing appointments both in-person and virtually, at the provider's request. 

Can I make an appointment to review my CDA or Spark portfolio? 

Please call or email us so that we may provide support over the phone, email, or via virtual meeting.

How do I access training for licensing?

We are currently offering training online. To view our catalog of training, click here: CCR&R Training Catalog Please check the Department of Early Learning and Care (DELC), Child Care Licensing Division for a full list of frequently asked questions and specific information on licensing.  


Head Start/Early Head Start Enrollment

How can I apply for Head Start?

You can print an application from this link on our website. Or to request an application to be sent to you, please call our main Enrollment line at 503-693-3262 or email us

Can I come in person to drop off my application and documents?

YES! All of our offices are open and accepting applications. We also have applications on hand at our front desk if you need one! Or you can download our application. 

You may send your application and supporting documents:

  • by mail to 1001 SW Baseline St, Hillsboro, OR 97123
  • by email to
  • by fax to 503-648-4175

I received a letter in the mail stating that my income needs to be re-determined to remain on the waiting list. What is the best method to send in this information?

Come say hi and drop off your documents at any of our offices!

You can also send them in:

  • by mail to 1001 SW Baseline St, Hillsboro, OR 97123
  • by email to
  • by fax to 503-648-4175 

I submitted a Head Start application. How do I know what the status is?

Head Start applications take 2-4 weeks to process. Once your application has been processed, we will notify you by phone or email. If we have questions regarding your application, we will contact you by phone.

What if I didn’t submit my income with my Head Start Application?

Our Enrollment team will reach out to families by phone or email on missing income documentation.

If my child is on the waiting list, how do I know when she/he will be selected to participate?

Our enrollment team will be reaching out to families with information on your child’s placement in either Early Head Start/Head Start or you may contact us at 503-693-3262 or email us at for more information.


Utility Assistance

I submitted a Utility Assistance application. How can I know what the status is?

Utility Assistance applications take at least 6 weeks to process. Once your application has been processed, our team will inform your utility company of the payment and will mail that receipt to you. If there is a problem with your application, we will reach out to you to correct any issues or collect any missing documentation.

What utilities can I get help with?

Community Action is currently assisting with electricity, natural gas, bulk heating fuel, some water assistance, and garbage discount programs.

How do I request utility assistance?

Please visit our Utility Assistance page HERE to see how to request a Utility Assistance Application.

How do I enroll in TriMet’s reduced fare program?

Please visit and follow the steps to enroll online.